People in Need of Transplants are Moochers?


Hi everyone,
 I know I have not written in a while, I have been having some problems with my stomach. We are not sure what is wrong with my stomach, but I am horrific pains at times. I did not go to school pretty much all week except for yesterday and today for just half the day. 

I would like to share a story with you that happened during my 4th hour economics class yesterday. I can’t remember how we got onto the subject, but a girl in my class and I were talking. I mentioned how our teacher in that class was a democrat. The girl, we will call her ‘Money Is More Important,’ or MIMI, turned to me and said: 

“Democrats are stupid.” 
Which I responded;“Are you serious?”
“Yea, that’s what my dad taught me. From the moment I was little. Democrats are stupid.”
I responded with: “Funny you should say that when it was a Republican who decided that 100 people’s lives weren’t important and cut the budget for transplants.”
“Well we are in an economic crisis.” She says nonchalantly with a shrug of her shoulders.
“So you are okay with telling a 21 year old who needs a lung transplant that she isn’t worth saving? You’re okay with telling a woman whose life just started that she is going to die?”
“What do you mean her life just started? She is 21. What has she been doing all these years?”
“It’s a metaphor, saying how young the person is to be dying. And what has she been doing all these years? She’s been fighting to live.” I answered her question. Before she responded I added in; “Or how about a five year old. You want to go up and tell a five year old ‘Sorry, we aren’t going to give you a transplant. You want to do that?” I asked.
“No. But that’s not my job.”
“So as long as you don’t see the sadness and fear in those people’s eyes, you are okay with letting them die?” I asked her.
“Look, if its your turn to die; then you gotta let it happen.” She responded.
“It’s easy for you to say that because you are healthy and are not fighting a terminal disease. I have found that people who have never fought to live don’t understand the fear of death because you have never had to face it for yourself.”
“I just don’t think people should mooch off of others to keep them alive. Those are that person’s organs.”
That one really hit home. It is one thing to have an opinion about the way we pay for health care, it is a whole different thing to call hard working people who through no fault of their own either got sick or born sick moochers.“Are you calling me a moocher?” I asked her.
”Why do you have to take everything so personally?”
“Because I am one of those people who need transplants. I did not ask to be born terminally ill. I did not ask to need new organs. And plus its not mooching since the people agreed to donate their organs and save lives.” The girl did not say anything but shrug.The bell rang then and I left.

 My friend who was also in the class gave me some encouraging words as we walked to lunch. “Becca, people at this school are selfish, ignorant and stupid. They don’t understand what its like to have a difficult life. I have not lived your life, but I know from my own struggles what its like to have a hard life and I understand where you are coming from. I believe in karma Becca and I believe that some of these people some day will get sick and finally realize just what you are saying. They don’t care endless it happens to them.” I told him how much I appreciate him being so understanding and we shared a hug. While MIMI’s words hurt and disturb me, my friend restored my faith in the fact that there are people out there who do understand and care about others out there; not just themselves.

As I’ve said before, it is not about what party you are in. It is about human life and valuing it. It is not a conservative or liberal thing. It is about human life.

 Love,
 Becca

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that girl was so mean, Becca.
    I really wish people would just stop being so ignorant and uncompassionate. It makes me crazy. You're doing a wonderful job, though, stopping the cycle of ignorance! I'm praying for you and your great mission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, the nerve of that girl, those type of people annoy me. if these type of people were in our shoes i am pretty sure they wouldn't be saying that kind of stuff. i also don't like the type of people who don't like a certain thing only because their parents don't. they need to be their own person. I wish that everyone could have the same outlook on life we have without having to go through any of what we had to. keep having your head held high Becca, you an amazing person, don't let those people get to you.

    Sincerely your camp friend
    ~Jenna Poole

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! Feel free to comment and share a story!

 
My Life As A Chronically
Ill Young Adult
Blog Design by Ipietoon