Dream Team

As many of you know, I am a peer mentor for incoming freshman and that requires me to sit in on one of their classes - that way I am at school at least once a week when the students are in case they need to talk to me. The teacher in charge of this class talked about motivation during one of the class sessions and I wanted to share what she said with you all. 

We all have people in our lives, some that move us towards our dreams and goals and some that hold us back from them. She gave the students (and I asked for one as well) a handout called Dream Team. The directions read: "List ten people with whom you spend the most time. On a scale from 1 to 10, rate each relationship. A score of "1" indicates that the relationship completely pulls you away from your goals and dreams. A score of "10" means the relationship completely propels you towards your goals and dreams."

Once every one in the room had filled out the paper, she asked them a few questions to think about. Here they are: 
  1. Why do I spend so much time with someone who doesn't help me towards my dreams and goals? 
  2. How does it feel when I hang out with the people who don't help me towards my dreams and goals? 
  3. Why haven't I tried to find a new relationship with someone else who will help me towards my goals? 
She didn't ask for anyone to answer them aloud, but instead asked them all to think over the questions and hopefully make some decisions (if needed) about who they hung out with and the negative choices that some of these relationships influence them to make that pulls them away from their dreams and goals. I invite you all to do this excersize, either in your head, in the comments below or on a sheet of paper in the comfort of your own home. Do the people you associate with motivate you and support your dreams? Or do they hold you back, put down your dreams and prevent you from going after them? If any of them do, I invite you to answer the questions the teacher had us answer. 

"Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another." Napoleon Hill 

Hope and Love,
Becca 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! Feel free to comment and share a story!

 
My Life As A Chronically
Ill Young Adult
Blog Design by Ipietoon