What I Am Thankful For

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving that was spent with family, friends and laughter! I decided for my Thanksgiving post I'd talk about what I am thankful for. As I thought about all the amazing things I have in my life, I noticed a reoccurring theme. All of these amazing things in my life are because of my health. It's odd to think that something that is so terrible has still managed to bring so much joy into my life. 

If I hadn't been born with my life threatening lung disease and heart defect, I more than likely would not have been put up for adoption. I wouldn't have the wonderful family that I do now if it weren't for my PH and CHD. 

If I hadn't been adopted by my family, I would never have gone to Paradise Valley United Methodist Church. I wouldn't have my amazing church family. A church family that has been with me ever since I was a baby, supporting me and praying for me. 

If I had been able to play outside during school recess, I never would've helped out in the school preschool where I learned and fell in love with American Sign Language - something that has been part of my life since I was nine years old and has been an amazing coping mechanism as well as introduced me to amazing people that I am still great friends with. 

All of the friends I made at heart camps throughout my life wouldn't be in my life if I had been born healthy. 

If I had been able to run, maybe I wouldn't have taken up writing; another coping mechanism for me. 

It was because of my PH that we had to travel all the way to New York, a city that I absolutely love and adore. I fell in love with Broadway and the music there. It was because of PH that I experienced the magic of musical and later on in high school made sure I was involved in the drama department as much as I could be. 

All of the family and friends that are closest to me, I wouldn't even know if I had been born healthy and not put up for adoption. All of the wonderful memories I share with those closest to me, I wouldn't. Yes there is suffering with my illness but it helps me to cope with it all f I remember that some of the most important people and parts of my life have come from these illnesses. So as strange as this sounds, I am thankful for my Pulmonary Hypertension and Congenital Heart Defects. 

What are you thankful for? 
Becca 

3 comments:

  1. Very nice to read. You are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful way of seeing life. Happy Thanksgiving! We don't celebrate it in South Africa, but I do believe in giving thanks. By the way, I LOVE your new blog design. Keep well, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me appreciate all that I have. All the best!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! Feel free to comment and share a story!

 
My Life As A Chronically
Ill Young Adult
Blog Design by Ipietoon