My Anthem

I posted last week a link to the video I had made of myself signing 'I Was Here' by Kristin Chenowith. It was a thank you video for those who have supported my family and I through this transplant journey. I wanted though to give you all a little insight into what this song means to me. 
As many of you know - I adore musicals. It all started when I was 9 years old and had to travel to New York for my medical care. The plane ride was long and the reality of just how sick I was was daunting and exhausting to say the least. So, to help get our minds off of what was going on - my dad bought us tickets to see my first Broadway musical. "Thoroughly Modern Milly" was the first show I ever saw and honestly, I hated it. It was beyond boring for a 9 year old girl. But my dad promised and convinced me that the next one we saw would be better. "Aida" instantly became my favorite musical of all time - and after a decade of seeing other wonderful shows, it still is. 

Musicals became part of the tradition whenever I'd go up to New York. Without my health problems, I may never have gotten to see a Broadway musical and fall in love with them. Without my health and love for musicals, I may never have joined the school drama club in high school where I made amazing friends and memories. Musicals and music in general has played a huge role in my journey of healing. From being able to make friends from drama the club, to enjoying musicals, to having an outlet for my sadness, fear and sometimes anger via Sign Language to music - musicals have touched my life. They have been part of my life since I was 9 years old and I owe Broadway a thank you for so much of the happiness in my life.
Kristin Chenoweth is best known for her career on Broadway, especially as the beloved 'Guh-Linda' on Wicked. When we first saw Kristin on Broadway as the Glenda in her bright pink dress and curly hair, my dad turned to me and said, "She's just like you!" I replied with, "Yeah but I can't sing like that." But I can sign and for several Sign Language performances with an ASL Choir, my song of choice for my solo was 'Popular'.  It was upbeat, spunky and best of all - I got to wear all pink for it. The song fit me. 

But now I have a different anthem and once again - it's a Kristin Chenoweth song. One of my biggest fears when it comes to my health is that after I die, I will be forgotten. Eventually, people will forget that I was here. They'll forget that I struggled, that I laughed, that I cried and made countless memories. That I lived. I want to do something to leave an impact on this world and in as many lives as possible so that hopefully, someday, when I'm no longer here - there will still be part of me that is. 

Yesterday my mom showed me a post on Facebook that a fellow CHD parent had sent her. This is the sibling of a little boy who has CHD and after watching my video multiple times it has become one of her favorite songs. The mom said her little girl had memorized the song and was singing it constantly. When I read the adorable message and saw the wonderful drawing her little girl had done of me, I couldn't help but smile. Musicals, Kristin Chenoweth and this song have now touched another little girl and her family's life and brought some light into it. It's a wonderful circle that I am so glad to be a part of. 

Hope and Love,
Becca 


1 comments:

Hey guys! Feel free to comment and share a story!

 
My Life As A Chronically
Ill Young Adult
Blog Design by Ipietoon