Thank You To My Wonderful Campers

This summer was a really busy one. My family and I went to Hawaii for two weeks and it was absolutely beautiful. It was wonderful. From the weather to all the amazing things we got to do. I loved going on the sugar cane tube ride as well as the catamaran ride down Na Pali Coast. We saw so many dolphins during our ride as well as flying fish! On one of the beaches we frequented we got to see a sea turtle and the cutest seal! It was an amazing time and I hope we get to go again next summer. 
I was also a counselor this year once more at a camp for kids with CHD. The camp is Nick and Kelly's Heart Camp up in Prescott. My cabin was wonderful. I had three campers that I had last year, so it was great getting to see them again this year. On the last day of camp my girls found some plastic on the floor and tied it around their head to look like they were oxygen. They ran around the cabin shouting, "Look, I'm Sandy!" (Sandy is my counselor camp name). Honestly, seeing that brought tears to my eyes. I have never had someone want to look like me. Never had someone want to wear oxygen. Its always been seen as a negative, or something that could hold me back. But these girls saw the beauty in my oxygen and all the things that it has allowed me to do. It has allowed me to go to camp two years in a row now. They saw me go on the Giant Swing (which is amazing!), go horseback riding, play archery, shoot riflery, dance around the cafeteria during meal times and partake in all the night time activities camp had this year; all while wearing my oxygen. And the fact that they wanted to copy me and wear oxygen like me, brought tears to my eyes. I've always seen my oxygen as something positive, but with a bit of annoyance still. But the fact that 9-11 year old girls saw it with absolute positivity and wanted to wear it gave me a new appreciation for it and what it can do for me and so many others like me. People who wear oxygen so often are seen as sick, weak or frail. But for 5 days my beautiful, wonderful, strong campers gave me the gift of seeing me as anything but weak or sick. So thank you to my wonderful campers who changed my life this summer, I can never repay you for what you have given me. 

Now that summer is coming to an end and I won't be traveling as much, I hope to be updating this blog more often. Thank you guys for all your love and support, I couldn't do it without you. 

Hope and Love,
Becca 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! Feel free to comment and share a story!

 
My Life As A Chronically
Ill Young Adult
Blog Design by Ipietoon